Sunday, September 12, 2010

My first scarf!

As I mentioned in an earlier post I decided to learn how to knit last winter. For some reason in the cold months I feel like I want to keep my hands busy and what better way than by knitting.

After watching the online video a few times and casting on about a dozen times I was off to the races. Turtle races that is. Boy was I sloooooow at first.

I knitted and knitted and knitted during my free time for a few weeks. I got about half way done with my scarf when I realized that it was wonky.

Real wonky.

There were places where I had added a few stitches to a few rows (instead of knitting 14 times I knitted 16 times for example), then when I would realize I made a mistake and I would go back to 14. This caused bumps on the sides of the scarf. Bumps that were really obvious to me.

So I asked Ronnie (devoted and adoring husband who barely even notices all the craft stuff I own) if it looked wonky.

Of course he said no and of course he was lying. He's a smart cookie that Ronnie.

I promptly said "Yes it does!" and proceeded to pull out all of the knitting that I had worked so hard on so I could start over again.

Ronnie was more than a little shocked.

So was I.

But it was a good decision. I had learned some major lessons in those first few feet of scarf and I knew that if I tried it again it would look much better.

And it did!

Its made from wool yarn and I gave it to my brother-in-law for his birthday in December. He must not hate it cause I've actually witnessed him wearing it out in public a few times. Now if I could just learn how to purl.....


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails